Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hotel No-Tell



Sometimes things just don't work out. The interstate is built 20 miles to the east. There's no money coming in. You can't cover your loan. Your wife says she's had enough. Anything. Disaster. Whenever I'm in an old house, particularly one that's still furnished, I can't help but wonder what happened. Death? Disease? Divorce? A litany of potential transgressions and illegalities. But, in each case, whatever occurred had to have been powerful. For this event, or sequence of events, transformed something that once must've meant everything--every hope, dream, or aspiration--and turned it into less than nothing. A rotting shell, the decaying objects inside, once cherished, now hardly the worst of it. A home become a place to flee. When I came across this motel in south Georgia, a little off I-75, I took the broken glass and shattered wood to be proof of calamity. Each room individually decorated, a children's playground out back, a laundry facility. Evidence of plans and passion. Now, nothing of use remained. To understand, to feel what might have been, you have to get close, and risk seeing something of yourself reflected back at you.

3 comments:

Kaarel Nurk said...

I just have to share my humble opinion about this blog. For me it's the only interesting US based photoblog that i've come across. You have something special and personal here, not the average photoblog cliche thing.

Anonymous said...

Wow! nice shots. I want to go there!!!

Anonymous said...

I like these moody, abandoned shots. Reminds me of growing up in the suburbs...
Also, finally returning your request for Patrick's website: www.homemade.org.uk