Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Brief Intermission! Win Photo!



A trip west from Tallahassee, Florida across Interstate 10 has unexpectedly presented itself. This drive through the Mississippi delta has been something I've wanted to do for years, taking in Pensacola, Mobile, Biloxi, Gulfport, and New Orleans. Then it's up through Jackson and Memphis. As a result, there will be a lag in posts after today. Probably not much more than the week it usually takes me to post anyway, but possibly 10 days or so. We'll see. In any case, I'll bring my camera and hopefully some shots will eventually (who knows when) make it to City of Dust.

Also unexpected, perhaps, are these photos. It sure ain't the Central Savannah River Area. In my absence, I'm going to hold a contest. The person who correctly guesses the location of these shots will win their choice of an 8" x 12" enlargement of the 1st photo in Parade of Shacks II, the 5th photo in The Brick Factory, or the 7th photo in The Brick Factory. Prints are suitable for tacking to your refrigerator with a magnet. By location, I'm hoping for either the name of the town where the first two photos were shot, or the town near where the third picture was taken, a little to the south. However, I realize that I'm being slightly ridiculous, so whoever gets closest will win, even if they guess Mexican Hat, Utah. That's a hint: it's not Utah. In the event of a tie... Aw, who am I kidding?! If there are actually enough entries to create a tie, I'll figure something out. Enter your answer in the comments section, or send me an e-mail. I might not have internet access until I return, so don't expect a quick response. Good luck!



If you'd like more entertainment in the meantime, I highly recommend checking out Found Magazine, a magazine (and book) composed entirely of things people found. Photos, love notes, diary entries, threats... It's amazing how poignant many of the pieces are, little snippets of other people's lives devoid of any context. It'll pique your curiosity, that's for sure. From the intro to the book: "I ask folks to name their finds, just as they'd name a painting or a song or a story they'd written. Picking a note up from the ground - something that everyone else has walked past and seen as trash - seems to me an equally noble act of creation." Now that's a philosophy I can get behind! Just look at most of the photos on this site. Make sure you check out Found's "find of the week!" Next time, downtown Augusta, GA. Really.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

have fun! and you should probably just keep on driving through mobile, nothing worth stopping for. i'm from there. :)

Anonymous said...

Pay no attention to Erica. The USS Alabama is open for viewing in Mobile Bay, as is a small WWII sub. There is also an indoor display of several WWII aircraft there. Erica apparently doesn't appreciate good military hardware when she sees it! :-)

Anonymous said...

i completely agree with that! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess these pictures were taken somewhere around the Great Lakes...

anne
http://www.wideangle.ca

Anonymous said...

C'mon, there's like 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, it says something to that effect on the license plates. But I'd guess it's the one that the Mississippi starts in. - xt235